8 – 4 Weeks Ahead
- Decide on a date for moving.
- Reserve your storage unit at a Fort Knox Self Storage location.
- Book the free Fort Knox Self Storage free move-in van or book a removalist or rental truck.
- Arrange insurance either with removalist or insurance company for goods in transit.
- Organise move out cleaners, if required.
- Buy moving boxes from Fort Knox packing centre.
- Start packing the things that you don’t need right now into moving boxes.
- Sell or donate unneeded items. Try a garage sale or market stall.
- Advise children’s school/kindergarten of your move.
- Start to use up food in freezer and pantry.
4 – 1 Weeks Ahead
- Continue packing and label each box with contents and intended location.
- Have clothing dry cleaned. Check items in repair shops.
- Notify utility and internet companies of your cancellation and set date for reconnection at new address.
- Advise the Electoral Role of your new address.
- Change address on drivers licence and car registration.
- Organise to redirect mail with Australia Post.
- Make an inventory of your household contents.
- Organise house insurance to be transferred from old house to new and make any adjustments for coverage.
- Send change of address email to friends and relatives.
- Return borrowed items and pick up things you have lent to others.
- Ask friends and relatives to help on moving day.
- Arrange for someone to look after small children and pets on moving day.
- Empty, clean and defrost fridge and freezer. Check that water trays are empty.
- Disconnect washing machine and let hoses drain. Prepare other appliances for removal.
- Drain Garden hoses and store in clean garbage bags.
- Have everything packed and ready to load except bedding.
- Consider the things you will need when you arrive at your new place and keep them with you.
- Remember to also keep valuables and important documents with you.
- Strip beds. Protect mattresses with mattress covers.
- Pick up Fort Knox Self Storage free Move-In van.
- Check inside the house and garden so that nothing is left behind.
- Turn off water and lights. Lock windows and doors.
When you’re off on your big adventure you can leave your furniture in our safe hands. We’ll treat it like gold.
Need Packing Boxes & Supplies?
We’ve got you covered with everything you need to make your move go smoothly and at wholesale prices. Order online and pay on pick up at your local store.
- Big & little packing boxes
- Specialised wardrobe & wine storage boxes
- Bubble wrap and packing tape